Simple Recipes - Vol. 6
Enjoy the authentic, rich taste of the products Matcha Cafe Maiko has to offer?
Want to try making some of them yourself? In this guide, we'll show you how with some simple recipes. Please be sure to check out the other recipe pages as well.
Recipe #1: Simple Matcha Steamed Bread
Ingredients (Makes a 15cm cake)
- 8 grams of matcha powder
- 200 grams of hot cake mix
- 1 egg
- 130cc of milk
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 2-3 tablespoons of black beans
- Optional: Kuromitsu
- 1. Put the hot cake mix and matcha powder in a bowl, add the sugar and mix.
- 2. Warm up the steamer.
- 3. After mixing the ingredients in step #1, add in the egg, milk, and black beans and mix more.
- 4. Shape the mix from step 3 into 15cm (5.9 in) and place on a baking sheet. Optionally, add a little kuromitsu at this point.
- 5. Place in the steamer and under low heat, steam for about 20-30 minutes.
- 6. Poke the center with a skewer and if nothing sticks to the skewer it's done.
Notes from the chef
This doesn't use any butter so it's healthier than your standard pound cake. Black beans are also good for dieting, so this comes recommended for the health-conscious.
Recipe #2: Gooey Agar Matcha Jelly
Ingredients (Makes 2-4)
- 2 tablespoons of matcha powder
- 2 tablespoons of sugar
- 400cc of milk
- 400cc of water
- 2 grams of agar powder
- 1. Pour the water into a pan and bring to a boil. Add in agar and let it sit and dissolve for about 2 minutes. Afterwards, add the sugar.
- 2. Add in matcha powder to a separate bowl and also gradually add milk, but keep mixing them to prevent clumping.
- 3. Put the mix from step 1 in the bowl in step 2 and mix thoroughly.
- 4. When the mix in step 3 becomes jelly-like, pour it into a glass and refrigerate.
Notes from the chef
For those wanting a stronger matcha taste, you can add in a little more matcha powder.
Be certain that the agar is dissolved when boiling.
This is a healthy alternative to your standard gelatin or pudding.
Thanks for reading and we hope that you enjoy these recipes. If you're in the Honolulu area, be sure to stop by Matcha Cafe Maiko.